|
|||||||
The destroyer USS Tucker went on a mine in Segond Channel outside Espirito Santo in Vanauto 3. October 1942 after a journey from Fiji to Espirito Santi. The day before USS Tucker arrived Segond Channel the entrance to the channel had been mined, but this was information which wasn't been sent to USS Tucker. And this was also to become the faith of the large troop transporter President Coolidge. After the accident the destroyer was a drift, and was later towed in to shallow waters outside Abnetare on the island Malo. Up through the years there has been salvaged on the wreck, and today USS Tucker rest in two pieces on a depth of fifteen to twenty meters. Remains of engine and gun emplacements can still be seen, and since much of the ship was built in stainless steel, the wreck is in a generally good condition. The rest only fifteen minutes away with a boat from the town of Luganville...
Shipyard: US Navy Yard, Virginia. USS Tucker became part of the forces attached to the US Battle Fleet and was based at San Diego in California. She was part of Destroyer Squadron 3, and served before the outbreak of World War II along the US West Coast and Hawaiian waters. In February 1939 she traveled to the Caribbean where she was part of Fleet Problem XX, an exercise personally observed by President Franklin D. Roosevelt. As the situation detoriated, and with an outbreak of war imminent, USS Tucker moved to Hawaii and remained there until 1941. Late in 1941 she became part of Task Force 19. In December 1941 she returned to Pearl Harbor for reparations, and at 07:55 on 7. December 1941 she was stationed at East Loch in Pearl Harbor, undergoing the reparations when the Japanese attacked. USS Tucker fired at the attacking Japanese aircraft as soon as they appeared and steamed out of the Harbor. They claimed three Japanese aircraft destroyed. Over the next five months the Tucker escorted convoys between San Francisco and Honolulu, and from April 1942 she moved to the South Pacific and spent another four months escorting ships around Fiji, Australia and New Zealand. 30. July 1942 she arrived in Auckland and the next day she left for Fiji. In Fiji USS Tucker was ordered to escort a ship to Espirito Santo in the New Hebrides, where she arrived in August 1942. Segond Channel was the main harbor of Espirito Santo, and had been mined by three other American destroyers on the morning of 3. August 1942. USS Tucker arrived off Santo in the evening of 3. August 1942, less than 22 hours after the mine field had been laid. USS Tucker planned to enter Segond Channel along the Bruat Channel and then through the south-western entrance which he believed, to be open for traffic. As the Tucker turned from Bruat Channel into Segond Channel, she hit a mine at 21:45 hours. Three men, the entire steaming watch in the forward fire room were killed in the explosion. The Captain of the escorted ship refused to come closer to the foundering ship, but sent his lifeboats to help. But Tucker did not sink immediately. In the morning 4. August, a patrol boat towed the ship as close to the shore as it could possibly do. Tucker drifted and kept disappearing under the surface. The Captain ordered to abandoned ship, but she did not sink where she was anchored up. Later the captain returned and cut the chain to the anchor and released the ship. It was again towed but within a couple of hours it broke up further and grounded off the small village of Abnetare on Malo Island. The date was 4. August 1942 and at 21:00 in the evening USS Tucker disappeared in the deep.7 .August 1942, the USS Navajo arrived to salvage the Tucker, but as the bow had still not sunk to the bottom, the first action was to sink her completely. This action caused the ship to be separated into two sections. In 1954 further salvage operations was pulled out on the wreck. In the 1970s, the wreckage was further damaged with explosives by an Australian diver while salvaging metals USS Tucker now rest on a depth of 21 meters off Aore Island with the stern section upright and the bow lying on its port side. The superstructure is constructed of stainless steel and therefore the majority of the wreck is still in good condition. A distance of one hundred meters separates the two sections of the wreck, and along the way you see many different pieces of the engine. The boilers rests between the two parts of the ship and the remains of the turbines are out in the open. |
|
Edited 29.06.2007 |